A Quick Guide on How to Use Ads in Facebook Messenger
I recently came across an article about an advertisement option that I was not familiar with. I wanted to share it with you so that you know it is out there for your business too. You can decide for yourself whether it is a handy way for you to drive real business results. Sky Jusaityte discusses ads in Facebook Messenger and is sure it can drive real results. I am not very active on Facebook anymore as I enjoy the engagement on other platforms more but I did find it interesting. In this blog, you will find a quick guide on how to use ads in Facebook Messenger.
More people use messaging apps than social networks
Messaging really only started in 2015 and now, more people use messaging apps than social networks. Consequently, Sky recommends all forward-looking advertisers to consider where messaging stands in their social media strategy. Here are some interesting statistics:
- Messaging apps now have more active users than social networks, including Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- People across generations prefer to message when chatting one-to-one or with a group. That means no calls or emails.
- Customers like the speed and simplicity of instant messaging. Facebook research shows that 53% of people are more likely to shop at a business they can message directly.
A quick guide on how to use ads in Facebook Messenger
Sky offers a quick guide on how you can use ads in Facebook Messenger to drive real results.
1. Extend your reach using the Messenger placement
Sky says that one of the easiest ways to add Messenger to your social media strategy is to extend the reach of your Facebook ads to the Messenger Home placement. This does not require any additional preparation as this can complement your existing Facebook activity as part of placement optimization.
She lists a few things to consider before testing this placement:
- Messenger Home placement is available as part of placement optimization and not a standalone placement. Although you cannot create Messenger Home-only ads, you will still be able to review how the placement performed against others through breakdown reporting.
- You can test this with Link or Carousel ads.
- It supports the Messages, Reach, Brand Awareness, Traffic, Conversions, and App Installs objectives.
Test this placement to see if you can get extended reach and improve your campaign performance. As this will be served as part of placement optimization, the algorithm will aim to serve your ads on a placement that can deliver the best price possible at the time. Make sure you allow enough time for the test and gather data before making big strategic decisions. Depending on your audience, Messenger Home might be a small part of your campaign delivery.
2. Drive people to your Messenger chat
Messaging offers speed and convenience and can increase customer satisfaction. Still, how do you get people to discover your Messenger presence and reach out to you? Sky says that there are a number of organic ways you can get discovered: Messenger Codes, adding a button to your Facebook page and sharing an m.me link. However, you can really scale and tailor who you reach with Click-to-Messenger ads, which are Link ads in the Facebook feed that entice people to open a chat with you on Messenger.
You can use all of the regular Facebook targeting—demographics, interests, custom audiences, and more. Sky lists a number of different strategies to explore:
Target your audience on Facebook and drive them to find out more about your products through Messenger.
Use the Facebook pixel to target those customers that viewed your products but have not purchased yet. Messenger could work as a great bridge from interest to conversion, allowing your customers to ask important questions and get answers immediately.
Create a Messenger bot around a season or event essential to your business.
Before testing this ad unit, there are a few guidelines to note:
- It is supported under three objectives: Traffic, Conversions, and Messages.
- You can use these ad formats to increase Messenger usage: Image Link, Video Link, or Carousel.
- You can place Click-to-Messenger ads on the Facebook and Instagram news feeds.
3. Re-engage customers with Sponsored Messages
If you already have plenty of people engaging with you on Messenger, you should consider running Sponsored Messages. These are targeted, in-context ads allowing you to re-engage a warm audience. People that have connected to you on Messenger are an open audience more likely to show interest in your products, respond to your marketing, and convert.
You can only target Sponsored Messages at people who already have an open conversation with you. That means your audience size is very limited. You are able to layer additional targeting, based on Facebook data.
Sky suggest to consider the following strategies:
- Using the Facebook Pixel, data exclude people who already converted and are not likely to convert again. That way, you can ensure your Sponsored Messages are still relevant to your audience.
- Make the messages personalized by segmenting your ad sets based on gender, age group, or interest.
- Remind your Messenger audience about your business by sending them an offer.
A few things to note before launching Sponsored Messages
Still, here are a few things to note before launching Sponsored Messages, according to Sky:
- The ad unit is currently supported by Messages objective only.
- It can only be served in Messenger and only to people who already have an open conversation with your business.
- You will be bidding manually on CPM. The recommended bids are much higher than you would bid on the Facebook news feed.
- It only works on accelerated delivery. Due to the smaller audience sizes, the goal of this unit is to deliver the messages out, fast.
- You can place 1x message per ad set and serve it at a frequency of 1. This makes sense since you do not want to bombard your customers with the same message over and over again. If you have 2x messages you would like to serve, you have to create 2x ad sets.
Ads in Facebook Messenger
I have seen other websites talk enthusiastically about ads in Facebook Messenger, but I have not included these sources as they were trying to sell services for creating these ads. That decreased their credibility in my opinion. I liked that this article explained more in-depth how the ad placement works.
If you are looking for ways to increase your sales without increasing your advertising budget, How to Convert Way More Traffic into Sales Without Spending Extra Money lists 25 ways to increase online sales without needing resources. In addition, Quickly Improve your Lead Generation with These 21 Tips will help you quickly improve your lead generation. This blog focuses on social media and blogging for lead generation as well as lead generation fails. Moreover, Amazon has some lead generation books with very good reviews.